Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Spoken Word - My Story



I said I'd do it without you
And I told you I couldn’t follow you
My dream was to become a man
You weren’t a part of the game plan
I said the ones who do, were weak
And I had no business being meek
Because I can't lead when I follow
But you said what's the point of leading when you're hollow?
And you humbled me
I learned it's harder to bow a knee,
than to be a man according to society
You were calling me.

I believed in the pursuit money
Two jobs at fifteen, that ain't funny
I thought the green would bring the honeys
the friends and the missing security
You were calling me but I was focused on my dream
You said I couldn't serve two masters.
And it was true, I was devoted to money and hated you.
You were calling me.

I lived a life that was photo shopped like a picture.
I was fake, and this isn't by mistake.
Man was tricked by a snake and I did things you hate.  
Jesus died so that I may have life and you gave me a clean slate
You told me I was bought with a price.
If I want to be a man of God then I better act like it.
You said I was just a boy who shaves.
And to give up my childish ways
You were calling me.

My whole life I surrounded myself with people just as lost as me.
I believed the parties, the alcohol, the sex, were my destiny.  
But you told me I was chosen, I didn't have to search.
The things of this world do not surpass your worth
You pushed me to church and showed me there was another life,
another path I could take.
I finally gave in, I wanted Jesus to rescue me. You adopted me.
You Justified me.

It's hard to be a Christian, you hold me to a standard
One that most choose to ignore, but still claim the title
My whole life I dealt with anger, it stayed on idle.
This world said if I wanted success, it was vital.
It was at that church retreat you called me out and pointed to the truth.
I had been wrong ever since my youth,
I was a prideful man and didn't lean on you.
You sanctify me.

God, I thank you for the path you set for me.
I thank you for the eternal life I receive for free
through Jesus Christ my Lord, who is the key
to the love you send down to those who now see
as it is written, "the righteous shall live by faith."
I'll trust in you to make my path straight.
I know it's never too late to come to you Father.
You guide me.

You gave me a desire for adventure,  
a wild hair that I thought was for my own venture.
But you've showed me that you will use that to further your kingdom.
We were made in your image, and we shall be like Him,
that's Jesus Christ y'all
Lord, in you I find my courage.
I pray, you don't allow me to go astray.
This life I dedicate to you,
I don't want to waste my life away. 

Check the VIDEO out here 

No comments:

Post a Comment